Alcohol recovery is a difficult process. How do you help a loved one or friend through recovery? Recovery from any addiction is a lifelong process. Addiction treatment, as well as the time after the process is over, can put a severe strain on any relationship. Generally the closer you are to someone suffering from addiction, the greater the tension.
What Are the Top 6 Ways to Help Someone Through Alcohol Recovery
Getting through alcohol recovery while in drug and alcohol addiction treatment can be a draining process. It affects the body and mind. Remember heroin, and alcohol addiction alter the brain. More specifically the reward system. One addiction takes hold individuals go into drug seeking mode. This is where relationships are lost with family and friends. there are 6 things that you can do to help you and the individual suffering from drug addiction;
- Be Realistic about Results – You can’t expect perfection when dealing with alcohol dependency. Relapses can happen, but the most important thing is to keep an open and honest line of dialog with your loved one. Unfortunately, sobriety is not able to cure all of the problems in a person’s life, but it will transform their lives. These setbacks are all a part of the process, and the most important thing to practice along the way is patience. Don’t give up on someone just because they have made some mistake. They are always able to become a better person through alcohol recovery.
- Understanding Addiction and the Recovery Process – No matter how much you love and support someone, it is essential to fully understand what is addiction? before deciding to help someone through the alcohol recovery process. Addiction changes the way a person’s brain works and you need to educate yourself and your loved one about alcohol addiction symptoms and their many dangers. If you can understand what the process is like, you’ll have a much easier time helping them get through it.
- Prepare for a Long Recovery – Addiction can cause a lot of problems with family and friends. Some of the many issues that can come along with addiction include financial problems related to job loss, possible DUI expenses, health issues, and broken relationships. These things cannot be fixed quickly and often take years to rebuild. Going through these painful experiences will be difficult for your loved one, so it is crucial for you to be optimistic and supportive as they work to rebuild their lives. These and many other things can make it difficult to find the best drug and alcohol addiction treatment centers.
- Help Create the Right Environment – For addiction treatment, a lot of the process has to do with changing the environment and creating new activities that are healthy and separate from alcohol. Help your loved one find new hobbies and places where substance abuse cannot occur. It is essential to strip their daily lives of alcohol while going through the alcohol recovery process. Having alcohol accessible during this challenging time makes it much easier for people in recovery to go back to their bad habits.
- Don’t Forget to Take Care of Yourself – No matter how much you love someone, it can be a problematic process supporting them through alcohol recovery. Frequently, people will devote nearly all their time and energy to helping someone through the process of alcohol recovery. Lending all this time and energy can lead to resentment and bitterness which is often counterproductive. You’re there to support someone, but they also have to be independently working to improve their lives as well.
- Helping Someone through Alcohol Recovery – Real recovery from alcoholism takes a lifetime, but if your loved one is willing to begin treatment, then that’s the most critical step. By following these guidelines along with being optimistic and non-judgmental, you can be a part of the process of restoring your loved one’s life so they can live free from addiction.
Drug Rehabs Escondido Early Intervention
Harmony Grove Recovery inpatient drug rehabs Escondido, California can help individuals and families trying to deal with addiction. The family unit is greatly damaged causing many problems. Dealing with these incorrectly only fuels the drug or alcohol addiction. Here are the milestones during the addiction treatment process;
- alcohol detox
- inpatient, PHP, residential
- intensive outpatient, IOP, and outpatient
- sober home transition
Where an individual falls is determined by many factors. A psychological and social evaluation must be performed by a qualified addiction treatment specialist. This evaluation lays the first road map to a recovery journey. This detailed plan will have changes as individual progress in their drug and alcohol rehabilitation.
Drug and Alcohol Detox San Diego the First Treatment Step
The first step to drug rehabilitation starts with our alcohol detox centers in San Diego. However, some may consider an intervention the first step. Detoxification is the first medical step in the recovery process. the body must be completely void of all drugs and alcohol. some of the reasons for this include clear thinking and reducing the need for the drug of choice.
The process of detox can be painful, however there are ways to ease this pain. A medication assisted detox provides what are called comfort medications. There are prescription medications specifically to reduce withdrawal symptoms. some of these include;
- diastat AcuDial
These just represent a few of the prescriptions that a doctor can use during the detoxification process. Performing a detox at home is never a good idea. Many thing that it is safe to perform this process at home. This is a false belief as there are many things that can go wrong during a drug and alcohol detox.
What to Expect Inpatient Drug Rehabs San Diego, California?
During our inpatient drug rehabs San Diego treatment program there are things you can do to help a loved one. This is a difficult time for the individual. They are starting to come to term with their addiction. The brain is starting to get rewired and causing many different feelings and emotions. At times they will be sincere that they now haw the situation under control. Many families have heard this story many times. The best thing is to keep them focused and show support without enabling.
During the residential process individuals will get individual and group counseling. You will also want to speak with the credentialed substance abuse counselor and ask for family counseling. This is critical as the family also needs to heal. The family unit roles need to be readjusted. If this is not addressed during drug and alcohol rehabilitation the chances for long-term alcohol recovery are greatly reduced.
Generally the closer you are to someone suffering from addiction, the greater the tension. That said, if a person has chosen to become sober and is ready to go through the steps of conducting an alcoholic assessment or even an inpatient program for more structured help, then you have the power to help them get their life back on track and stay successful in doing so.
Alcohol Detox Options Help Get You Through Alcohol Recovery
Different form of alcohol detox can provide help through the recovery journey. Refer to the above 6 ways to help someone through alcohol recovery. This guide provides solutions on how do deal with this difficult time. Having a better understanding will not only help your loved one. It will also help you and the family deal with the addiction with evidence based addiction treatment strategies. When you have proven techniques on getting through the recovery process it helps. Drug and alcohol addiction is a behavioral health problem. Getting all the issues on the table and dealing with them will increase long-term recovery. The rehabilitation process more than likely with expose underlying issues. These are known aw co-occurring disorders. This is why individuals may act irrationally when in the grips of addiction.
Being involved and giving support with the 6 ways to help someone through alcohol recovery will help speed up the process. It will also help you cope better and you will know what to do when you see the drug seeking behaviors. This first step is to call (760) 697-0497 Harmony Grove Recovery inpatient drug rehabs San Diego, California today. That tiny step is often the most difficult. However, the quicker drug and alcohol treatment are started the better.